Husqvarna is a trusted brand amongst professional contractors, and it’s just as popular for everyday people who just need reliable power tools that won’t fail them in the middle of a job. The Husqvarna 455 Rancher 20” Gas Chainsaw is their version of a workhorse chainsaw that can handle the largest tree felling jobs – and has enough control to take on smaller jobs, too.
The Husqvarna 455 Rancher 20” Chainsaw is a professional-quality chainsaw with the capacity to handle large, tough heavy job – but with the right amount of sensitivity to allow for control on smaller, more careful cutting jobs. It’s best used for heavy-duty cutting, and it’s the perfect chainsaw if you have a rough, hard tree to cut down – or several trees as a contractor with a busy schedule.[amazon box=”B00080MIJI”]
- Engine size: The 455 Rancher 20” is powered by an X-TorQ 55c gas engine that provides an incredible amount of power with a very low amount of vibration and kickback.
- Bar length: The 455 Rancher comes with a 20” bar length, which is perfect for handling jobs that require a fair amount of reach, like trees with a particularly large diameter; some people have even used the 455 Rancher to turn huge logs into fine art.
- Kickback and chain: The 455 Rancher is an especially powerful chainsaw, especially if you’re used to smaller or less powerful battery-powered models – though, at the same time, it’s still designed with a minimum amount of kickback and vibration.
- Safety features: Husqvarna designs all of their tools with the user’s safety in mind, and the 455 Rancher is made with a safety lock, extra-strong grip, a minimum amount of vibration and a chain cover so you can put your chainsaw away safely when not in use.
- Warranty: All Husqvarna products including the 455 Rancher are covered under their 2-year warranty, which covers most common faults and manufacturing issues – you can also purchase the extended 2-year warranty on top of this if your chainsaw goes through particularly heavy and regular use, or if you just want some extra security.
If you’re considering the Husqvarna 455 Rancher for your next power tool purchase, here’s how the product performs when compared to other competitive chainsaws in the same price range.
The 455 Rancher chainsaw has been designed to deliver an impressive amount of power and just the right amount of speed so that you’re able to saw right through even the strongest branches or logs like butter – and the 455 Rancher affords you just enough control to be able to make those fine turns.
- Design: The Rancher has been designed with comfort, safety and power in mind. It’s easy to start and effortless to use and control, even if you don’t have a lot of experience behind a chainsaw. It’s even been designed with modifications in mind, and many who use their chainsaws to produce fine art have customized their chainsaw models with fascinating custom paint jobs.
- Safety: Safety really matters when we’re talking about chainsaw operation, and the Rancher is designed to be as safe as possible, even for the novice user. It’s been designed for minimum kickback and vibration so that you have a maximum amount of control, and you can “lock” the chain safely when not in use; it also comes with a chain guard to cover and protect your chainsaw when it’s being kept in storage.
Pros and Cons
Still not sure? Here are some pros and cons about the Husqvarna that can help you decide.
Pro: It’s made for ease-of-use, power and safety all at the same time.
There are many chainsaws that’ll be great at one thing, but underperform at another – for example, some are hugely powerful, but lack the safety features you’d need to operate it safely. The Ranger-series has been created to be easy to use, powerful and safe at the same time – and it’s a great addition to your power tool collection whether you only use a chainsaw occasionally or whether you need one every day.
Pro: The Ranger has a low-vibration design that allows for more control over the blade – and less mis-cutting.
When you’re cutting through anything, there’s no going back from having done it wrong – so you need the maximum amount of control over the chainsaw’s operation whether you’re cutting through wood or ice. The Ranger has a special low-vibration design that increases your control over the chainsaw, and decreases any chances of potential injury.
Pro: The Ranger has excellent low fuel consumption, and has a lower carbon footprint.
The Ranger has been created to be low on fuel, which makes it an excellent option if you’re hoping to save money or reduce your carbon footprint, especially as a business owner who needs a reliable chainsaw.
Con: The Ranger requires a large deal of maintenance, whether you’re using it regularly or only on occasion.
The Ranger is one of the best chainsaw models you can find with great power output, and it’s low on fuel consumption too – but it does need a large deal of maintenance, and it’ll need a proper oiling and cleaning after every job. It’s not self-cleaning or oiling in any way, and this means it takes a lot more work, even when it’s in storage.
Con: It’s not quiet.
While the Ranger has been designed to conduct as little as possible vibration through to the operator, low vibration doesn’t mean quiet, and the Ranger falls on the louder side of the spectrum; sometimes this isn’t a problem, but there are many times where you don’t want to wake up the block by firing up a chainsaw.
Con: The Ranger can leak oil when stored.
Many users of the Ranger-series have reported oil leaks when their chainsaw has been stored away for a while with oil still in the tank – this is partially why it needs regular cleaning.
Need to purchase an additional chain for your chainsaw purchase? Here are three of the most popular options and what they’re best for.
- Replacement Chain Standard
The standard replacement 12” chain is what most people opt for when they need to replace the chain and they’re just using their chainsaw for standard, small maintenance jobs around the house.
- Micro Chisel Chains
Micro-chisel chains have a much finer “grain” on the chain, and affords you a little more control when cutting softer woods – or ones that you can’t afford to splinter. Some also use a micro chisel chain for the finer parts of chainsaw sculpting, and most professionals will have a set of these on hand in addition to the standard.
- The Full Chisel Saw Chain
The full chisel saw chain is designed for more heavy-duty use, and it’s perfect if you’re a professional contractor who gets regular use out of their tools, or if you have a particularly hardy brush or tree to cut through.
The Husqvarna 455 Rancher is one of the best semi-professional chainsaws out there, and it’s a great addition to your power tool arsenal whether you just need a chainsaw for some small work around the house, and it’s just as great if you need a professional tool that’ll be put through some heavy, everyday, commercial use for your business.
Final thoughts – this makes for an excellent model chainsaw, and this one outperforms even chainsaws that would be more than twice the price. As long as you take proper care of the Ranger, you can get years of heavy use out of it.[amazon box=”B00080MIJI”]
Frequently asked questions
- What’s the largest bar that can be used?
There are several sizes of bars that can be used with the Ranger, though they can be interchanged with some larger bars – including a 24” replacement bar made by Husqvarna.
- Is the Husqvarna Ranger chainsaw CARB Compliant?
If you’ve never heard of it before, CARB is short for the California Air Resources Board, and chainsaws produced are guaranteed to be compliant with strict environmental standards as US law requires.
- Is there a need to lubricate and oil the parts?
While the Ranger chainsaw can be set to automatic lubrication, it’s recommended that users still lubricate the smaller moveable parts of their chainsaws manually – and double-check this just in case before setting out on another job.
- Is this a professional machine?
Many people require a chainsaw model that can handle a professional beating, and this is exactly the one if you need something fit for very heavy commercial use – in fact, it’s officially considered a semi-professional model, and it’s great for both homeowners and contractors alike.
- Is any assembly required?
In most cases, no assembly was required out of the box – and all that had to be done was some small adjustments to the chainsaw, and maybe double-checking that everything that should be screwed on tight is as it should be.