The original Dewalt company was started in 1923, and they have an extended history of providing customers with high-quality professional-grade power tools that pack a lot of power – plus, they’re masters of innovation: Raymond Dewalt is known as the inventor of the radial saw!
Modernization of the original idea has brought models like the Dewalt DCCS720B Compact Cordless Chainsaw. Here’s more about the DCCS720B and what makes it one of the best battery-powered compact chainsaws on the market.
The Dewalt DCCS720B Compact Cordless Chainsaw packs a lot of power for such a small little model, and it’s become a favourite backup model for professionals who’d like both a compact model and enough power to handle most felling and cutting jobs – it also makes a great starter model for anyone who just wants to do some light maintenance around their yard, or contractors who need a travelling back up to their primary-choice chainsaw model.
Thinking about choosing the Dewalt DCCS620B chainsaw as your first chainsaw or backup model to your primary professional chainsaw? Here’s more information about why you should consider making it the DCCS620B.
- Engine size:
The DCCS620B is powered by a 20V rechargeable battery and requires only a short time worth of charging to get to full capacity, meaning that it’s almost ready for use right out of the box.
- Bar length:
The DCCS620B comes with a bar length of 12”, making it considerably longer than other comparative battery powered models – and you’d be surprised at just how much of a difference those two inches can make when you have to cut through a particularly hardy tree.
- Kickback and Chain:
Understanding the importance of safety, the Dewalt DCCS620B has been designed with a minimum amount of kickback – and offers a chain lock to minimize any instances of kickback from chainsaw operation even more. The chain cuts like butter, and needs very little sharpening – even through heavy, professional use as a backup tool.
- Safety Features:
Battery power has no impact on the performance of this little device, and you shouldn’t underestimate its power when you use it: Because of this, the DCCS620B has been made with some extra safety features in mind, including a chain lock, on/off switch and a safe chain cover when the device isn’t in use.
- Warranty: The Dewalt DCCS620B comes with an extended warranty that covers all manufacturing faults right out of the box, and also covers some of the most common faults that happen to the DCCS620B. The DCCS620B is guaranteed for 3 years under this warranty, and it includes a separate warranty on the battery and charging unit.
How does the Dewalt DCCS620B match up in terms of power, design and safety when compared to other battery-powered chainsaw models?
- Power: The Dewalt DCCS620B is powered by a portable, rechargeable 20V battery that carries more power than you would think, and is fully charged in just two hours of charging for approximately half an hour of heavy use. Performance is a little slow when needing to cut through thicker woods or brush, but it can still do the job – just don’t expect it in half the time of a traditional gas-powered chainsaw.
- Design: The Dewalt DCCS620B is designed to be a comfortable fit in your hands, and offers a minimum amount of kickback even when you’re working with tougher materials and woods. When it comes to a chainsaw, you want something that can grip – and grip properly – and the DCCS620B is perfect, though still offers the fine control that you might need when cutting around corners.
- Safety: Dewalt designs all of their power tools with the user’s comfort and safety in mind, and the DCCS620B is no exception – instead of compromising for a lower price point, they’ve still put the thought into making sure the Dewalt DCCS620B is as safe as can be: Minimum kickback and hand guards to prevent injury as well as a chain lock and chain cover for when your chainsaw isn’t in use.
Pros and Cons
Still not convinced? Here’s some more information about the pros and cons that you can expect from the Dewalt DCCS620B.
Pro: It’s fast and quiet though powerful enough to handle most cutting or trimming jobs.
The Dewalt DCCS620B has been designed to be whisper quiet, so you don’t have to worry about upsetting the whole block just to cut down a tree – though at the same time, the DCCS620B offers enough power to get through most cutting jobs, whether it’s your backup model as a contractor or just an at-home model for maintenance.
Pro: It’s easy to use even if you’ve never used a chainsaw before.
The Dewalt DCCS620B is made to be easy to use, making it the perfect model for professionals looking for a backup model – but it’s just as good of a buy if you’ve never used a chainsaw before in your life.
Pro: The chain is high-quality and made to last.
Many users report that the Dewalt DCCS620B chain only needed sharpening for the first time after several months of heavy use – and a considerable amount of trees cut. The stock chain is high-quality and made to last.
Con: There’s a lack of power for larger jobs.
While the Dewalt DCCS620B has a considerable amount of power under the hood (at least so to speak), many users have reported that there’s a lack of power when taking on larger, thicker trees – it’ll still get the job done, but not as fast as you might want.
Con: There’s the potential of oil leakage.
Some users have reported oil leakage when storing the DCCS620B with a filled tank. If you don’t want this happening, remember to empty out the tank reservoir before putting your chainsaw away for storage.
Con: There are better models on the market.
The DCCS620B is great if you’re looking for a quality chainsaw at an affordable price, but it’s worth saying that there are many chainsaws at the same power level that perform much better than this one.
- The Standard Replacement Chain:
The standard replacement chain is made to be high-quality, designed to be sharp and will last for the majority of jobs – and it’s all most people ever need.
- The 90PX Replacement Chain: The 90PX replacement chain is perfect if you need a little more power – or if you’ve already gone through more than one standard replacement chain already.
- 12” Oregon Replacement Chain: Oregon chains are quality, and well known for being able to cut through almost anything – if you have a job that other replacement chains couldn’t handle, this is the one to choose.
The Dewalt DCCS620B is perfect if you’re looking for a backup chainsaw model for professional use or an around-the-house chainsaw for small jobs at home – but it can slow you down if you’re trying to do a huge, professional job and this is all you have to do it with. It’s great for something small, but you’ll need a little more power if you want to cut through several trees.
Frequently asked questions
- How much assembly is needed for the Dewalt DCCS620B chainsaw?
The Dewalt is pretty much ready to go right out of the box – and there isn’t much setup or assembly before you start using it. But there are still a few things you might want to do before you use it, like setting the chain tension, checking the oil and installing the battery, but only if you’ve had it charged first.
- How much can you safely cut with this chainsaw?
The Dewalt chainsaw has a 12” chain, which gives you a little more reach than other comparative chainsaws; you can cut most things with this chainsaw without having to worry, it just might take you a little bit longer than it would have with a gas-powered chainsaw – and pace yourself or you might risk overheating the battery.
- How long does the battery really last?
It largely depends on what you’re cutting: For moderate brush and light tree felling, the battery can last as much as an hour on full charge – but for heavier jobs, the battery can be depleted in as little as half an hour, so carry an extra battery if you’re a professional contractor.
- Can I use a battery from (insert model here)?
While there’s a lot of supposed anecdotal evidence about which batteries can fit what, it’s recommended that you don’t try – only use parts that have been recommended by the manufacturer, which in this case is the Dewalt DCCS620B battery only.
- Can this be used in my country?
This is a surprisingly common question posted on message boards and FAQ sections about Dewalt tools – and the simple answer is yes. At most, you might have to get an adaptor if the charger doesn’t fit your country’s electric socket – but aside from this, there’s nothing that stops you, and the product is available in most places.