Black & Decker was founded in 1910, and they have a long history of providing high-quality products and power-tools to amateur DIY’ers and businesses in the industry. Quality, safety and power are the factors that matter most when you’re in the market for a chainsaw. Here’s how the Black & Decker LCS 1020 20V Max Lithium-Ion Chainsaw matches up.
The Black & Decker LCS1020 20V Max Lithium-Ion Chainsaw is a battery-powered 20V chainsaw designed to be lightweight, but also made to be powerful enough to handle most jobs, even tougher ones.
While most people tend to underestimate battery powered chainsaws (especially ones of this size), it’s surprising with just how much ease the LCS1020 can cut through a variety of woods, ranging from softer pines to harder, tougher woods such as mahogany – you can even use it to cut through materials such as ice.[amazon box=”B00OC9WSDC”]
- Engine size: The LSC1020 is a battery-powered little unit that’s surprisingly powerful for its size – and 20V power output – that has no problem handling even larger jobs at a full charge.
- Bar length: The LCS1020 comes with a 10” (or 25cm) bar length that offers more than enough reach to cut through most logs of varying diameters – without having to reach in too far.
- Kickback and Chain: The LCS1020 has been designed with operator safety and comfort in mind, and has been designed with a minimum level of kickback – and safety catch – for effortless operation, even through tougher materials.
- Safety features: Designed for the maximum amount of safety, the LCS1020 comes with several safety features, including a low kickback design, handle guards to protect the user, and a chain lock to minimize the possibility of kickback even further.
- Warranty: Black & Decker has a lot of confidence in their product, and their LCS1020 model comes with a 2-year limited warranty that covers any manufacturing faults or some of the most common chainsaw issues.
The LCS1020 comes with 20V of rechargeable power, which is enough most people need to do most types of maintenance they would need a chainsaw for. If you need a little bit more power than this, there’s also the next model up at 40V, but you’d be surprised at the amount of power that 20V can really offer you.
The LCS1020 has been designed to be small and lightweight, but it’s also aesthetically pleasing – something that most manufacturers don’t worry about when creating their tools! It also happens to be a comfortable fit in your hands, which really matters when you’re working with any type of power tools.
The LCS1020 is great even if you’ve never worked with a chainsaw before, and it’s been designed to be as safe as possible – the design ensures a minimum amount of kickback, and the safety button ensures that you’re sure when the chainsaw is switched off; there are also additional guards to ensure that the potential of debris injuries are minimized, and the chain can be covered when the chainsaw is not in use.[amazon box=”B00OC9WSDC”]
Pros and Cons
What makes the Black & Decker LCS1020 worth buying? Here are some of the LCS1020’s pros and cons:
Pro: Ease of Use
Professionals who have worked with chainsaws for many their careers won’t need a lot of explanation, but this isn’t true for most people. Even if you’ve never used a chainsaw before in your life, you’ll find the LCS1020 easy to use – and the added safety features of the chainsaw make it great for beginners.
Pro: Smooth Handling
It’s not just the power of a chainsaw that matters, you also care about how it handles – the LCS1020 operates smoothly and effortlessly, and it can cut through the average log or brush like butter, which is what most people need when they’re looking for a chainsaw for jobs around the house.
Safety matters and almost everyone has heard of at least one bad chainsaw accident in their lifetime – don’t let that chainsaw accident story be yours. If you’re using the LCS1020, you can fall back on the safety features that provide a minimum amount of kickback, even when handling tougher woods.
Con: The 10” sidebar is lacking for some larger jobs.
While the 10” sidebar is alright for most jobs, one shouldn’t assume that this means it’s perfect for all jobs – there are some jobs that are just too much for the 10” sidebar to handle, including particularly large, hardwood trees that require something with further reach.
Con: The LCS1020 needs to be charged too often for a full professional work day.
The LCS1020 is great for most people who just need to do a little maintenance around the house, and it’s even a perfect chainsaw for the professional who needs one – but if you have a particularly long day ahead of you, the LCS1020 might need to be charged halfway through your job: Either buy a larger chainsaw, or carry another charged battery.
Con: The LCS1020 is a powerful little chainsaw – but this isn’t always enough.
The LCS1020 does offer enough power to get through larger jobs – and it’ll get the job done, but the key word here is “eventually.” Some larger, harder jobs take far too long with battery-powered output like this and might need a stronger chainsaw if you want to complete the job in less than half an hour.
You can purchase additional chains for the LCS1020, too. Here are 3 possible chain options to buy with your Black & Decker:
- Oregon 9040 Chain: The Oregon 9040 chain is perfect for hardy jobs, and just as great for everyday ones – and is one of the most common replacement chains for the LCS1020.
- RC1000 Replacement Chain: The RC1000 replacement chain is for slightly harder jobs, or a “one up” replacement for your standard LCS1020 chain that comes with the model.
- Standard Replacement Chain: The standard replacement chain can be purchased at most places where you can find the LCS1020 – and if you just need to do a few small jobs around the house, this is the replacement chain that’s best for the job.
The LCS1020 is more powerful and lightweight than you would think, and it’s the perfect model for jobs around the house – or a quick job as a professional contractor. It’s just not suited to heavy use, but it’s the perfect beginner or backup chainsaw model to keep around the house or workshop.
It’s still a considerable upgrade from the previous Black & Decker models, and it’s been known to perform considerably better than other models of the same range from competing manufacturers – if you’re looking for any kind of battery-powered chainsaw as a first or second model, the LCS1020 is likely perfect for what you need, especially if only using it as a professional backup model.[amazon box=”B00OC9WSDC”]
Frequently asked questions
Need to know more about the LCS1020 chainsaw? Here are some of the most frequently asked questions.
- How much does it weigh?
The LCS1020 is designed to be lightweight and estimated to be around 10 pounds – through the exact listed shipping weight is even lower than this at 9.1 pounds. Of course, with an empty tank, the LCS1020 weighs even less than this – and can clock in at a weight of as little as 7 pounds when being stored empty.
- Can I use a battery from an (insert model here)?
Generally, no – and you shouldn’t try to do it because it might just cause permanent and expensive damage to your chainsaw or battery. Use only products that have been approved for use by the manufacturer, which in this case is the 20V lithium-ion battery this comes with or its replacement.
- Does this chainsaw come with an automatic oiler?
While some chainsaws come with an automatic oiler, the LCS1020 has to be oiled manually – and this is something that you’ll have to do as you keep using the chainsaw. Use only recommended oils to oil the chainsaw – and remember that the LCS1020 doesn’t ship with oil, so you’ll have to buy this separately. Don’t use vegetable oil.
- Are there any differences between this (the LCS1020) and the earlier Black & Decker chainsaw models?
Among other features, the battery has been upgraded from the previous model from 18V to 20V, and the bar and chain is a considerable amount longer than the previous model, allowing for further reach. Just in case you were wondering, the parts aren’t interchangeable from one model to another.
- What’s the most you can cut with this chainsaw?
There are plenty variables that influence just how much a little chainsaw can handle, but this one can be used to trim thicker brushes, cut through hardy trees – and slice through something with a 9” diameter if you’re careful, calculated and slow about your cut.